Friday, March 11, 2011

Japan: Prayers are with you all

So this morning, I woke up and got right to my normal routine: Woke up my son, made his bed, got breakfast for the kids, woke up my daughter...  I started feeding my daughter her breakfast and was checking my email at the same time (multitasking mom at work).  I saw on Facebook that someone had mentioned prayers going out to everyone in Japan.  Hmm...  What's that about?  I got the kids dressed and ready to take my son to school.  After that, I turned on the news to see what was going on and I saw the devastation following the earthquakes and tsunami in Japan. 

I remember what Katrina was like just like it was yesterday.  We had just moved from Baton Rouge to Shreveport the previous weekend.  I remember my husband getting the call from his boss telling him that the state government had asked for as many emergency workers to volunteer to aid in the rescue/recovery efforts.  I remember that you couldn't get a call into the 225 area code hardly at all (Baton Rouge is the capital of Louisiana and is in the 225 area code; New Orleans' government and state Emergency Management was also relocated to the 225 area code - so they squeezed out all pedestrian telephone calls).  Because my husband's cell phone was a 225 area code, I hardly ever knew where he was or what was going on.  It was such a scary time to be down there as a volunteer: looting, officer involved shootings, exposure to who knows what. 

All in all, what made that situation better was the love of others.  Neighbors helped neighbors.  Volunteers helped strangers.  And it was all done out of love.  Where government was overloaded and unable to cope, the love of others prevailed.  In this spirit, I give you today's freebie.  I created this phrase as a PNG file so that it would have a clear background.  Those of you who are familiar with my blog know that 4shared's file preview is all kinds of confused by PNG files.  So when you go to 4shared to download this freebie, just ignore the preview picture.  It will download as it is pictured below (cross my heart):


Simply click on the freebie to download it!

No comments: